It's that time again, the start to another Tone It Up Challenge! You have your new lunch box, your new water bottle and your new mindset that THIS IS IT!!! This is the challenge that will get your bum into gear. We are here to help you achieve all the goals you have ever set for yourself and we want you to succeed! In order to set you up for success, we want to be sure you are armed with all the right tools so that you can NOT fail.
If you are fully committed to this challenge you MUST:
1. Check-in! Check-in with your trainers and each other every day. We're here to support you and get you to your goals! We're holding you accountable!! Accountability ~ this will keep you on track: First - share the Calendar, as well as this challenge, with some close friends and family! Having them on your side will make sticking to your efforts much easier! You help others get to the top, and they will thank you by providing you with motivation in return! It's a 100% Win/Win.. Second - use the entire Tone It Up Community to your advantage! Check-in each day with a breakdown of your Healthy Meals, Check-in after each workout and Check-in with any motivational success stories or thoughts you have. If your experiences help even one person get over that 'hump' wouldn't it be worth it?! Check-in on Facebook, Twitter and especially the Tone It Up Online Community Site! Get inspired :)
2. Booty Call Workout ~ BOOTY CALL!!! Your alarm better be set for the morning!! :) Set it 30 minutes early & sneak in a fat burning workout- a walk, jog, yoga-- anything! We want you to really crank up the intensity for your Workouts! Getting up in the morning before you start your day is important to fire up the Fat Burning Process! If you can't do a workout in the morning, then fit it in LATER and add an extra 10 minutes of cardio to your routine.
3. Daily Challenges ~ You'll be reminded each day that there is something new you are going to try! Being sure to set time aside for you is just as important as brushing your teeth and hydrating enough each day :)
4. Tone It Up Calendar ~ Print it out and stick it on your computer, your fridge or even your Dashboard... anywhere you are sure to see it multiple times throughout the day. This will help you make sure never to miss out on what it is you need to be doing each day.
5. Proper Nutrition ~ See below for your nutrition MUSTS through the next 6 weeks! By sticking to the Tone It Up Nutrition Plan, you will be sure that you aren't taking in the wrong foods, or even the right foods at the wrong times! Follow the Tone It Up Plan during the entire Challenge, and Finish it with the 7DaySlimDown for your best shot at holding on to those results for the long-term!
6. Motivation from your Trainers! ~ Remember that we are here to help you all get to where you have always dreamed of being! We will be sending you daily motivation, and challenges to really show you how much you are capable of :) Stick to the plan and don't worry if you fall off a bit here & there. Bounce back as soon & as strong as you can, and pick up where you left off! Your body will learn to adapt to the new pace faster than you ever imagined :)
Your nutrition rules throughout the challenge... you already know these if you're on the Tone It Up Nutrition Plan ;)
- Drink half your body weight in ounces of water... at least. Ex: 150 lbs = 75 ounces throughout the day.
- Eat a LEAN, GREEN & CLEAN dinner!!! No heavy starches (breads), cheeses or fried food at dinner. Yes... you can have the occasional drink, but keep it minimal. We prefer you to have a glass of red wine a couple times a week or a vodka soda with fresh lime or crushed raspberries.
- Say bye-bye to all chemicals in your diet that causes you to hold onto stubborn fat cells & cause hunger and cellulite, and you can say hello to abs, a healthy brain, healthy joints, a functioning liver, beautiful skin and a higher metabolism. Chemicals in artificial sweeteners can also cause cancer, so we're going to get rid of them for 6 weeks... at least! Stay all natural and be clear of aspartame, 'skinny lattes' & diet sodas and stick to the real stuff. We like organic sugar, almond milk instead of creamers, soda waters with fruit instead of soda, stevia packets instead of aspartame, agave instead of splenda etc... if you EVER have any questions about this, please ask!
Where are the harsh chemicals hidden? Diet coke and most diet sodas, most flavored waters (unless all natural), splenda packets when you get your coffee, boxed 'diet' foods, non-organic yogurt (which is loaded, by the way), sugar-free coffee creamers, some 'protein bars' and some protein powders that aren't organic. You should be able to pronounce all ingredients on the side of your packaging. This is SO important. You're now asking, well what do I eat!? Ask us anytime, but stick to real food that is LEAN & CLEAN.
What do we drink instead of soda? A nice glass of water will do. We like adding crushed fresh fruit to our water. Instead of splenda in your coffee, add some all natural honey or 1 natural sugar packet. YES, we want you to have calories instead of chemicals. You're abs and body will thank us later. What about yogurt? Instead of the non-organic yogurts, grab an all natural kind, like 0%-1% Chobani, Fage, or Stonyfield Greek yogurt~ they're loaded with protein too!
And speaking of protein... protein never upset anyone's stomach. If you're eating lean, clean protein, you will not get gassy or bloated. Why do some protein powders cause this? It's not the protein, but the chemicals that are in them to mask the taste. We like organic, sprouted brown rice protein. We've fallen victim to the protein powders before, so check your labels and don't make our mistake too. Okay, we could go on for hours...
What to avoid... Ingredients that you can't pronounce and splenda, aspartame & sweet 'N low. Also, watch for high fructose corn syrup and hidden sugars in 'low fat foods'. We know this seems like a lot, but when you think about it, just eat what mother nature gave you!!! You'll end up with a lean, toned body when you eat natural. It doesn't need to be organic either. Just natural. If you want to learn more about sweeteners, we found a great resource... What to have as sweeteners.
We want to focus on continuing to make fitness fun, and we accomplish that by keeping ourselves excited for what’s next. Instead of doing the same thing ever day, or even going to the same place, mix it up! Open up your options to include new activities or classes you’ve never tried before! When was the last time you did something for the first time?! Whatever the answer is, it probably wasn’t recent enough :) So far you have all signed up for the Toned in '12 Challenge, and that includes printing out multiple copies of the January Calendar for you and friends, as well as creating a Journal Page in the Community!
The next step is to really personalize your efforts ~ We bring you new workouts and healthy foods & treats as often as we can & we want to help you explore even further! Read below on how to really enjoy the effort and to enjoy the work that you are putting into a goal that you are so pumped to accomplish!
Ways to make fitness fun in 2012:
- Variety is the Spice of Life! ~ Mix up your schedule by introducing new classes or activities, and really step outside the box! If our bodies respond by preparing for new activity, isn’t this truly the easiest way to improve ourselves?
- Push Yourself! ~ When was the last time you played in an organized sports league? Join a soccer program, or a flag football, or even a Water Polo league! You’d be surprised at how many your town offers. You may even start making friends that are there for the same reason :) Bonus!
- Get your Friends Involved! ~ How many of your friends can you think of who are looking for the same excitement and fun in their lives... we know of a few, so we grab them by the hand and bring them to our favorite yoga instructor, or they’ll grab us and take us to their favorite pure-barre class. Whichever way it works out, get your friends involved!
- Create a Goal together! ~ Plan a beach trip with your friends! This way you all have a common goal to work towards, and a specific time frame to get it done it! You want to glow in those cute bikinis, and look fierce out at night in those loose fitting sun-dresses! Get to work.
- Sign up for something you’ve NEVER Done! ~ Tough Mudder? 10k road race? Triathalon?! Do something you never thought you’d be able to do, and give yourself time to train. You’ll be AMAZED at how focused you become when you have a deadline approaching! Remember what we’ve said in the past, The only difference between a Dream and a Goal is the Deadline :)
Have FUN with it! ~ We know we aren’t suppose to use the word we are defining in the definition, so by saying ‘have fun’ as a means to ‘have fun’ we are being a bit redundant - it’s just so important to remember to enjoy the challenges, enjoy the effort, and enjoy the journey! We all know the saying ‘A Watched pot never Boils’.. same is true for fitness.. ‘A Watched Scale NEVER MOVES!’ Don’t get discouraged if you don’t lose that 12 lbs overnight, or if you don’t see your abs come through the day after a great core workout.. enjoy the exercise, enjoy the sweat, enjoy the challenge! You’ll go a lot further with your results than you can imagine! Especially since those that don't work for the result end up crash dieting, seeing a small, superficial result and quit! Then they are back to where they were, and just as unhappy as before. Stick to the plan, and have FUN with the journey!
Setting up your calendar is just as important as setting up your Journal in the Tone It Up Community!
Log your 2012, six week & one year goals at http://toneitup.com/community
Karena & Katrina
Jump start your best year ever with the Toned in'12 New Years Challenge!!! 6 weeks of challenges, workouts, accountability, prizes, incentives & motivation!
Sign up here & get ready!