Hope you all had a fabulous Labor Day last weekend and found some time to spend with family and friends. Holidays like this always remind us of how important it is to cherish and spend time with loved ones. We spent our weekend at home in Manhattan Beach enjoying good company, running on the beach, paddle surfing and BBQ'ing. Karena even whipped up her famous Kale Salad and finally shares the recipe!!!!!!
Beautiful Labor Day sunset and vino with Skunk!
Sangria!! Red wine, sparkling water, fresh lemons & any fruit you like :)
Scrumptious healthy meal :) Turkey Burgers, Three Bean Salad & Karena's Kale Salad!
Looks like Skunk and Mittens had some fun too!
Big Brother Steve arrived on Labor Day after driving 12 days from Boston to Cali! Welcome to your new home!!!
This is what happens when you try to eat sand. Opps!
Karena's Kale Salad
Servings: 10 -- big enough for a BBQ! You can divide the portions equally if you want to make less servings. This salad keeps well overnight too! It's actually better tasting the longer it marinates :)
INGREDIENTS & INSTRUCTIONS--
- 5-6 cups kale, washed and cut with kitchen scissors into thin strips.
- 1/2 cup dried unsweetened cranberries.
- 1/2 cup pine nuts.
- 1/2 cup diced red onions.
- 1/2 cup cherry red tomatoes
- 1/3 cup feta cheese. We suggest low-fat or non-fat.
- juice of one lemon
- 2 fresh diced garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Mix kale, cranberries, tomatoes, nuts, onions in a glass bowl. In a separate dish, mix lemon juice, olive oil, vinegar, salt, pepper, garlic to make a dressing. Pour dressing over kale and toss to coat evenly. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours, overnight 6 hours or more is best! Before serving, toss in feta cheese.
Karena's step-mom Beth introduced gave her this recipe and it's now a token pot-luck/BBQ must-have!
Three Bean Salad
- 1 15-oz can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15-oz can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15-oz can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 celery stalks, chopped fine
- 1/2 red onion, chopped fine
- 1 cup fresh, finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 Tbsp fresh finely chopped rosemary
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup organic sugar or substitute for Stevia. If you use Stevia, you won't need as much.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- In a large bowl, mix the beans, celery, onion, parsley and rosemary.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, sugar, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Add the dressing to the beans. Toss.
- Chill beans in the refrigerator for several hours, the longer they soak the better the soak up the flavor!
Serves 4 to 8.
Check out this video from Katrina on how to make our favorite Turkey Burgers....
Have you signed up for our your new Fall Challenge?......
|Who Referred You!? :)|